Thursday, October 7, 2010

My Points of View Of ICT in Our Malaysian Schools

For my opinion, there are two issues or challenges in integrating ICT in teaching and learning in our Malaysian schools.
The first challenges come from the school management. Based on my own experience at my secondary school, even though my school was already included as a part of the Smart School Project in Malaysia, my friends and I did not get much advantage from this project at that time. We are well known that the Ministry of education has invested a huge effort in terms of funding and training for this project. But, this effort was unsuccessful as I can saw at that time the ICT laboratory were not well equipped. Most of the computers programs were out of date. Moreover, not all the computers were functioning and look like they will not be repaired. The ICT laboratory was just like a store that was reserve as a place for the old ICT equipment. So, where are all the money that have been invested by the ministry has gone? For me, it is a kind of a shame that a boarding school which is under Malaysian Smart School Project have a condition like that. More unfortunate, no ICT subject was taught at my school during that time. Compared to my friend’s school, the ICT subject was teach at their school. I was really disappointed with this situation at that time. Students at my schools were not exposed with the curriculum of ICT. Can you imagine, how the implementation of this project can be success in school located at the rural area if my school which is one of the boarding school, located near urban area failed to carry out this project? For me, the school management should perform their duties with more responsibilities and trustworthy. If these are practises, surely this Smart School Project can bring great impact on the students as to fulfil noble ideals and spirit of the National Education Philosophy and prepare students to face the globalization and knowledge-based economy in the 21st century.
The second challenges were the students. At my school, only certain students had a chance to develop their skills in ICT. Some students were selected from an interview, and only the students that pass the interview were appointed as “Briged Bestari”. Only them were able to access the internet, used ICT equipment freely and participate in any competition related to ICT. It was not fair as only these students got the opportunity. This is because, the ministry has invested fund for the smart school project in the school, so that all the students should got the chance to develop skills in ICT. But, for this situation, only certain students got benefits from this project at the end. Furthermore, ICT equipment in the class was not fully function. Students were not encouraged to use the equipment for teaching and learning. All the presentation, teaching and learning were in the conventional method. So, what was the use of the LCD, the projector, the sound system that was equipped in the class? All these depend on the teachers. Without their determination, students will not get benefits from the Smart School Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment